Friday, September 18, 2009

The latest and greatest (or maybe just latest) news on the babe

If you're still hangin' in there with me, I applaud you. I myself am starting to believe that I'm not actually pregnant, but instead have simply gained weight in my stomach that makes it appear that I'm pregnant. Anywho, on with the updates...

I had an appointment with my doctor today, and everything seems to be fine with the baby--she's just taking her time. The doctor scheduled appointments for another non-stress test and an ultrasound at the hospital on Monday to check on the baby, and then I'll be induced on Thursday if she's not here by then. The doctor also stripped my membranes (see here for an explanation of that, if you so desire), which I had been hesitant about, but she assured me that it wouldn't make Katie come unless she was ready. I'm hoping that'll help speed things along, but we'll see.

Now, a bit of an explanation.... I'm sure most of you are wondering, "Why the heck isn't she being induced already?" Well, I'm really trying to do things as naturally as possible. I know that pregnancy is a natural process, and that the baby will come when the time is right. I realize that sometimes an induction is needed, and I am fine with that if it is necessary, but since Katie seems to be doing fine, I want to let my body go into labor when it's ready. Plus, she's not getting too big to deliver or anything (doc says she's about 7 lbs. right now), so I'm not worried about that. And finally, I'm going to try delivering naturally too, and oftentimes Pitocin creates much stronger contractions than normal, which makes it difficult to get through labor without medication and can make the labor harder on the baby.

So, now that you all think I'm crazy, I'll end this post. :) Thanks for all your sweet comments and concerns--we can't wait to meet our little girl and share pictures of her with all of you! Have a great day!

5 comments:

Jill said...

good for you! way to hang in there! i was induced both times for my sanity's sake! i tried to go without pain meds this time but well... i wimped out. i hope everything goes exactly the way you want it to. can't WAIT!

Jonestown said...

Thanks for the update! Hang in there. Let us know if you need anything.

Stacy said...

I hope she comes soon and on her own. Good luck with going "natural", I might attempt that with this one, but I've got 4 months before I have to decide. I can't wait to see her little picture!

Crystal said...

I've been checking in on you! I hope she comes before you have to be induced! But in case it makes you feel any better, my induction experience was absolutely wonderful (it was done for medical reasons, as I bet you know.) Either way she will be here in a week! Woohoo!

Anjanette Halladay said...

Keep hanging in there. In know how tough it can be. I am with you with the induction thing. With Katelyn I was induced because by water broke and with sadie I went 11 days before i went into labor. It was actually on my schedule induction date that I went into labor on my own. I guess Sadie knew she had to come one way or another that day. I did try and go natural with her, but as life goes some things don't always go the way you planned (I was just so tired, 14 hours of contrations and only at a 6). So I gave in and I'm pretty happy that I did because she was a hefty 9 1/2 pound baby and I'm glad I got some rest before I had to push her out. I really hope everything goes the way you would like it. Come baby come!