Sunday, September 27, 2009

Kate's Birth Story

For those who are interested...here's my birth story for Kate. First of all, I didn't end up doing natural childbirth, but I also don't feel guilty about it (which I figured I would if I didn't do natural - does that make sense at all?). Anyway, I have absolutely no regrets about how the whole birth experience went, which is much more than I expected. It was such an amazing thing, and I'm excited to share it here.

(Note: times are approximate, as I was somehow distracted during the experience ;) )

My induction was scheduled for 7 AM at the hospital. We actually got there about 7:30 (my fault--I was nervous and didn't get ready as fast as I should have) and got all registered, then headed to Labor & Delivery. I had started having mild contractions at about 6:45 AM, and they were happening about every 5 minutes, so I was kind of excited at the thought that maybe, just maybe, I had actually started labor on my own! We got to our room in L&D (room 6 - the same room Gracie was born in!) and my doctor came shortly thereafter to see how I was doing. She checked me and said I was at a 3 and almost completely effaced, and that I was actually in the early phase of labor--all on my own! Because of that, she said I could choose whether to do Pitocin (which I was hesitant to do) or they could break my water and see what happens. I chose to have her break my water.

She broke my water at about 8:00 and soon after I started getting much stronger contractions. Dave was awesome and was right by my side as I tried to relax and breathe my way through them. After an hour I asked the nurse to check me to see if I had made any progress. She checked and said she could stretch me to a 4--which was not what I was hoping for. For the next half hour or so I kept thinking through my options and how I really felt about getting an epidural. My contractions kept getting closer and closer together, and the nurses informed me that they were happening "one on top of another." At one point I literally had about 5 seconds between the end of one and the beginning of another. I knew that there was no way I'd be able to relax and let my body use the contractions effectively, so I told Dave that I wanted an epidural. He was almost more relieved than I was, and even told me I could tell other people that he forced me to get an epidural if I felt bad. I didn't though--I was excited! :)

At about 10 AM, they started me on an IV so I would have enough fluids to get an epidural. A little while later, the anesthesiologist showed up to give the epidural. He had me sit up on the edge of the bed and lean on Dave so he could administer it. I sat very still while he numbed me really well, then put the huge needle in that would administer the anesthetic. Then I heard, "Hmmm..." (not good). He said he couldn't find the empty space between the bones, so he had to try again in a different spot. I had already sat still through a few contractions and was really struggling, but I definitely wanted that epidural, so I kept very still. He gave another numbing shot and tried again, but he still couldn't find the right spot. He tried and failed a third time and then said, "Okay, we'll try one more time." I was starting to panic a little at this point, thinking, "What am I gonna do if he can't get it in?!" Oh, and Dave had to sit down at one point because standing there so long had made him really light-headed, so I was leaning on the nurse. Thankfully, the fourth time was the charm and he was able to get the epidural in, much to everyone's relief! I had no concept of time, but Dave thinks I was sitting there for at least half an hour! (So I guess that is my one regret about my labor--it would've been nice if the epidural had gone in the first time.) I even got a nice battle wound from all that poking and prodding--what Dave and I call my "epidural tattoo" on my back:
It's hard to tell from the picture, but my bruise is about 2 in by 1.5 in.

It took a few minutes for the epidural to kick in, but then I was much happier and more relaxed. They actually started to worry because my heartbeat dropped to 45-50 beats a minute, but I think it was just because I could finally totally relax. They checked me after that and said I was at a 6-7 (one benefit of having to sit up for so long!). Dave and I just sat and watched TV for a few minutes, and then he decided to text some family members and let them know I was at a 7. Shortly after that, I started to feel some pressure and they said I was probably getting close to the end--I couldn't believe it! It was about 12:40 at this point, and my doctor stopped by during her lunch break to see how I was doing. When the nurses told her they thought I was almost ready to push, she said, "You're kidding! I was joking when I told you guys to have her ready at 12:30!" (I guess after she broke my water, she had joked with the nurses that it'd be nice if she could deliver me during her lunch break, so she wouldn't have to keep patients in the office waiting.) So she checked me and said I was at a 10, and they started getting everything ready for Katie to arrive! I couldn't believe how quickly I progressed, and was so excited that I was so close to holding my baby!

I pushed for quite a while with Grace, and it was really hard work, so I expected the same thing this time. But no--she was out at 1:11 PM, within about 15-20 minutes of pushing! It was so amazing and surreal when they put her on my chest, and I couldn't believe she was here! Because of being past her due date, she only had a tiny bit of vernix (the white stuff babies are born with) in her armpits, and the rest of her was absolutely clean. Her little hands and feet were (and still are) all pruny from extra long exposure to the amniotic fluid, and it's so cute! After she was out, Dave cut the cord and we got to just hold her for a while before they took her to weigh her and everything. After weighing her, one of my nurses helped me start nursing her, and she nursed perfectly for about 45 minutes on one side and 15-20 minutes on the other side! I was so excited! It was such a contrast from Grace's birth, because she was high-risk and they had to whisk her away to the NICU soon after birth. This time, though, they just let us relax and enjoy her without interruption.

Well, that's the story. Everything went great, and we feel so blessed to have our beautiful, healthy Katie with us. We'll try to post more pictures of her and Gracie soon!

5 comments:

Jill said...

I'm so happy that everything went well. Your story is almost exactly like mine and Callie's! I'm proud of you for getting the epidural and not feeling bad about it. Because really... in the end.... does it matter? You got to enjoy Katie's delivery and I think that's the most important thing! She's a beauty - just like her mom!!

Anjanette said...

It's great not to feel regret and why should you. It is still a lot of hard work. How are you feeling? Please remember to take it easy. when you have another little one to take care of too, I think it is hard for us to remember that everything doesn't need to get done. I think the only way I got by the first few weeks were wonderful family but also movies. Enjoy your new little one!

The Standrings said...

i'm glad everything went well, ali. you look great!

Staci said...

I am SO glad everything went well & glad you got the epidural & were able to relax & enjoy! You progressed so fast, which is so great!!!

The putting the epidural in over & over again was just like with Parker! They had to poke me several times because my bones were too close together:( I feel for you & your back pain you are probably experiencing.

She is beautiful & glad she is eating well!!!

Jonestown said...

I love your story! I am so happy things are going well.