Saturday, November 28, 2009

Here's how my day went yesterday...

7:30 AM - wake up to Gracie saying, "Mama! Mama! It's time for good morling!" I take Katie with me to get Grace out of her crib. I notice that, despite my efforts to keep Gracie from smothering Katie with kisses, Katie has caught Gracie's cold. Dang. I wipe 2 little noses and we all eat breakfast.

9:30ish - We leave to drop Gracie off at Nana's so Dave and I can do some Black Friday shopping. Gracie spends the next 6 hours helping Nana and Papi decorate for Christmas and LOVES every second of it.

10 AM - 1 PM - Dave and I hit Wal-mart and Target (with Katie in the Baby Bjorn--yeah, I got some dirty looks). The lines are all pretty much gone. We end up with 7 hit movies for a total of $33. Sa-weet! Oh, and some toilet paper (no special prices on that, though).

1 PM - Stop at Panda Express for a 3-item plate to share. No fortune cookies included. Apparently I asked for too many samples while ordering my items. :( The food was good anyway, though.

1:30 - Back to Nana/Papi's house for video game playing, house decorating, card-making, and movie-watching.

6:00 - Start watching Transformers 2. Decide it's probably not appropriate for Gracie. Let her watch Curious George in the other room.

6:30 - Gracie falls asleep watching Curious George. Grateful for the break, none of us wakes her up. (She really wasn't being bad--we were just all exhausted and didn't want to have to follow her around to keep her from breaking Christmas stuff.)

8:00 - Katie is fed and cooing happily in my arms.

8:10 - Katie is overtired, crying, and will not go to sleep--nursing, walking the floor, etc. does not work. I put her in her carseat, cover it with a blanket, and swing it around until she falls asleep.

8:20 - I go back to watch the movie and fall asleep for a few minutes until...

8:30 - Katie wakes up screaming. I try swaying her in the carseat to no avail. The movie ends, so we head for home. Gracie wakes up--she has her second wind and is READY TO GO! Awesome.

9:00 - We're home and Katie is screaming, swallowing air, and will not nurse because of all the burps that are in her. I walk the floor with her until she calms down and burps, then nurse her and she falls asleep. Whew!

9:30 - After seeing Nana and Papi put up their Christmas tree, Gracie wants to get ours out. I promised her earlier that we would, but that was when I thought we'd be coming home at 6, not 9. Dave and I look at each other and give in.

10:15 - The tree is up and decorated, and Gracie has never been happier in her life! Her excitement and Christmas spirit is contagious, and I'm not nearly as tired as before. :)

10:30 - Gracie goes to bed (much earlier than I anticipated, given her late nap), where I assume that visions of sugarplums danced in her head all night long.

11:00 - Dave and I sit on the couch in a stupor until we get up the energy to go to bed. Kids are a lot of work, but they sure do make it all worthwhile. :)

7 comments:

Staci at Craftify It ! said...

I'm tired after reading that...but also smiling!!:) Kids are so sweet!

I can't believe Panda didn't give you a fortune cookie!??! Never heard of that!

Staci:)

Jonestown said...

WOWZAH! You are amazing - you have so much patience and pazazz all at the same time!!

The Bowles said...

talk about a busy day! but it's good to stay busy i think! kids are so worth the work! love the pictures of kate at two months! such a cutie! i think the hardest part of raising kids so far is not getting enough sleep. once they sleep through the night...it makes the day so much more enjoyable:)

Valerie said...

Why would people give you dirty looks about the Baby Bjorn? Bjourn? Bjorne? Whoever.

Valerie said...

Oh wait...I get it now. It's because it was Black Friday, crazy lady. Am I right?

(Word verification: velyri. Never had that spelling of my name before!)

Alicia said...

Yes, the dirty looks were because I took my baby out on Black Friday. Although, like Dave said, she got some of the best sleep of her life. :)

Scott and Emily said...

I love your new family picture!