Friday, June 26, 2009

Five Years and Counting!


As of today, Dave and I have been married for 5 years! (Random fact: I realized today that I've been married for a fifth [approximately] of my life--crazy, huh?) The time has gone so quickly, but we've grown and learned so much together that it's hard to imagine life without him. :) Here are a few things I've learned about life and marriage since we got married (in no particular order):
1. Live the golden rule, and sometimes take it a step further for your spouse--treat him/her not just the way you want to be treated, but how he/she would like to be treated. We all have our own preferences.
2. Do all you can and put your trust in the Lord, and everything will work out fine.
3. Just because something is true doesn't mean it needs to be said.
4. (Along the same lines as #3) Sometimes you need to vent, and sometimes you just need to pray for patience as you work out your emotions.
5. If you put your spouse first and try to meet his/her needs rather than worrying about your own, you won't be concerned about whether or not everything (chores, work, etc.) is divided equally.
6. Having a child/children adds a whole new layer of love to the marriage relationship--if you let it.
7. Little love notes go a long way.
8. It's important to do lots of things together--work, play, read, exercise, rest, etc.--then you get to know and love each other in all kinds of situations.
9. Listening is usually much more productive than talking.
And finally
10. Neither Dave nor I are perfect, but every day we realize more ways that we're perfect for each other. If you try to look for ways that you're compatible rather than ways you're not, you'll be much happier!

I realize that five years of marriage doesn't make me an expert in any way, but I'm so grateful for the past five years and all that Dave and I have accomplished together. I love you, Sweetheart! Thanks for being the man of my dreams and so much more! I'm excited for the eternity we have ahead of us!
Alicia :)

2 comments:

The Bowles said...

such a sweet post! and way to go with five years! it feels like just yesterday we were mia maids together. man how the time flies!

Anjanette said...

Happy 5 years. Good list. Marriage is a lot of hard work, but well worth it. Congrats to a great couple.