Monday, December 08, 2008

Payback: This time, it's for real...

I have a confession to make. Lately, I've been having less-than-kind thoughts running through my mind. No, worse. Anger, hatred, cold-blooded murder. In fact, thousands have died just this morning at my hands.

Now, before you worry that Gracie's in danger, let me clarify: we have ants in our pants apartment.

picture from here

They first appeared a few weeks ago, but only 2 or 3 at a time, here and there, so we'd just squish them. We started seeing a few more, so I called the manager to tell him. He said that the bug guy was scheduled to come on December 4 (this was maybe the 20th of November), but he could have him come out right away. I (being the polite and agreeable tenant I am) said we could wait until December 4. Last week (i.e. Dec 1st-ish), we started to see dozens at a time, including all over Gracie's high chair, so I couldn't wait for the 4th to come, so we'd be rid of them! (Gracie's been eating all her meals at her little IKEA table and chairs for the last week or so.)

The bug guy came and I showed him where we were having problems. He put his magical bug ooze in our backyard, where he could see trails leading into the apartment, and then gave me a 4-pack of prescription-strength (I kid you not--that's what they say) ant bait trap thingamabobs (they don't really say that) to put out in case we still had trouble with them. He also said he would be spraying the outside of our building too, so hopefully that would take care of them. His visit was a little shorter than I thought it would be, but I trusted his expertise and hoped for the best.

Well, later that night we found a long trail of ants leading from our broom closet, and we hadn't had any there before. We killed the ones we could and put one of our prescription strength poison bait things there to take care of them. Later, there were more on and around the high chair, so we put out another bait trap. The ants disappeared from those two areas, but the next day they showed up in force on our kitchen counter, and as of last night, they are in our food cupboards. We smoosh or vacuum up hundreds at a time, and within minutes there are just as many or more out there. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called our manager again, and the bug guy will be here on Thursday. Awesome. (Can you sense the lack of excitement?)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Oh, and meals too, since I'm not a huge fan of cooking while ants crawl all around me.




(P.S. Please don't really bring meals--we'll be fine!)

8 comments:

Tony and Traci said...

Ants are really quite annoying. We have had some good fortune being on the second floor, but we got them in AZ and it seemed like we could never get rid of them. They have some ant spray at OSH that you could try. I don't know. My best suggestion would be just to move upstairs. ;) jk.

Allison said...

I'm sorry that you are victim to such viscious assaults from the heinous hymenoptera. I wish you well. P.S. Remember when we were ants one year for girls camp?

Valerie said...

Sheesh. Good luck with that.

I have a suggestion about the meal thing, though--ants are considered a delicacy in some countries.

So not funny, I know.

Anna said...

Hahaha...valerie...

I am SOO sorry. That is truly something out of the Twilight Zone. The ever-appearing ants from outerspace! Well, maybe not from outerspace. But it would be pretty cool if they were magical! Think of all the wishes you would have!

Alicia said...

Thanks for the sympathy, gals. Yes, we may just resort to eating them if they hang around too long!

I feel so special to have all you Ghetto Friends leaving a comment on the same post! (Just waiting for you, Stace!) :)

Jill said...

Someone once told me that clearing out your cupboards and wiping them down with Pinesol would get rid of ants. I'm not sure, though. Maybe it's worth a shot? It seems like we always get ants in the summer when it's super hot and then again in the winter. They are soooooo annoying. Seriously. What is their purpose?!! Good luck! Miss you guys!

Truly and Shane said...

Ants?!! Yikes, I love the way you write.

And you are sooo kind! What you wrote on my email was super sweet. I remember highschool and I wish I made contact with people a little bit better than I did. Meke sense? Time goes all too quickly anyway...now you have a little girl! Who is VERY cute and, I agree, much cuter than McCain or Obama will ever be!! LOL! We love the name Grace- 'Gracie'. Good job there. I cannot write a comment without adding in how a-freeging-mazing your Twilight pumpkin carving was!!!!!!

akidd said...

Okay, it sounds like you STILL have ants even though I'm way late in reading this. We get ants around our house and we've managed to keep them at bay by using granules. We had read that cornmeal works, but it only works for a little while. Instead they have granules that actually look a lot like cornmeal but they have poison in them. You sprinkle them around your house and they take them back to their little ant lair and feed it to everybody and they all die. It takes longer than spray to work but it really takes care of them permanently. Now, we've always done it outside our house so you'd have to look at the package to see if you can do it inside your apartment or whatever, but seriously it works like a charm.