Thursday, November 06, 2008

Halloween Program at the Library

On October 30, the library had a special Halloween program for young children, so we headed on over! They read books and sang songs with the kids, showed "Cranberry Halloween," and then let the kids trick-or-treat to the different librarians. We got to take Nana with us (it takes 2 of us to keep up with Gracie!), and we had a good time.



Gracie really enjoyed the songs they sang, and participated more than a lot of the older kids, shouting, "YAY!" at regular intervals. :) She did pretty well while they read the books, but she prefers to hold books while they are read to her, which didn't work so well in this situation! When it came time for "Cranberry Halloween," we exited temporarily because (1) Gracie wouldn't sit still and (2) she had a messy diaper and I was sure the parents seated close to us had noticed! We came back just in time to decorate a goody bag with stickers...

...and then go trick-or-treating!


Those smart librarians gave out bookmarks and stickers, and then gave one little bag of M&M's at the end of the trick-or-treating. Such a good idea. However, I had told Gracie before we went to the library that she would get candy, so when we got to the first station and they offered her a bookmark, she said, "Candy?" We somehow got her to move on without getting candy, but she was getting a little perturbed by the third station without candy. Thankfully, they stamped her hand (and gave me the candy) at the last station, and that hand stamp so intrigued her that she completely forgot about candy!

Before we left, we had to get a picture of the little witch reading a book.


Oh, and lest you think I'm an awful mother and ate her candy, here is a picture of her enjoying those M&M's (plus a sucker) after lunch at home.

2 comments:

*MARY* said...

I think it's good mothers who eat their kids candy, which makes me the best mom in the world.

Alicia said...

I think you're right, Mary. I just meant I didn't eat her very first trick-or-treat candy. I've been "saving" her from the rest ever since Halloween. I'm a really good mom too. (But you're better, of course.)