So, it wasn't long ago that I excitedly told you about my new job. Well, I quit. I was there about a month more or less. I learned quickly and my goodness there was a lot to learn. I made a good friend too. And a couple of pretty good friends. But in the end, things weren't working out. I was working more hours than I had bargained for. Though I was only scheduled until 10:30 each night, I ended up staying until 11 or 12 because the store was understaffed and we had to clean the whole store before we were allowed to leave. So really, the cost of this job was greater than the benefits.
Benefits:
$7.25 per agonizing hour
10% of anything in the store, using money I didn't have
Costs:
Couldn't go to church anymore
No time (I mean 0) for classes
No time with Alicia
No time with friends
Rapidly declining health (a week after quitting, I am still sick)
Constant demoralizing lectures (for things that were not my fault, but the person lecturing)
They won't let you call in sick no matter what.
Etc.
You get the picture. My theory is that a job should exist to help sustain life, not take over and become life. Call me foolish, but that's my thought. Besides, my school work is the most important right now.
After quitting and go back to church and church activities, it felt like I had been away for such a long time. Like I was returning to activity. Anyway, I quit. That's that.
Monday, October 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I agree. A job should help sustain you both physically and mentally. When life gets completely out of balance, it's time to take note. Pray about it separately and as a couple. I know it was a difficult decision, but a good one for the both of you. I have no doubt that a better job is right around the corner. On the plus side, you now have experience in retail, and you have a better idea of how many hours you can work a week.
Post a Comment