I have to add another adventure to Grace Watch 2. On Monday (Feb. 4), Grace had her 18-month check-up at the doctor, which went well. She actually kinda likes her doctor, and Dave and I love him. He's an older man who obviously loves and understand babies and children. Anyway, at the appointment, Gracie got her last 2 immunizations until Kindergarten! Crazy, huh? She was not too thrilled when the nurse poked her, but she calmed down as soon as the needles were out. She's such a tough cookie--I guess all her surgeries have made her that way! Because she was such a good girl, the nurse gave her a sucker to eat. :)
After that we had to go to a lab to get Gracie's blood drawn for a lead test. (It was suggested that we do so because of all the scary toy recalls from China.) We got to the lab and it was packed with people, so I was worried because Gracie was already overdue for a nap--I was hoping she wouldn't throw a fit or anything. So we sat down to wait, and Gracie did awesome. First she sat on my lap and played with my phone. Then she wanted to get down, so she walked around the waiting room and said, "Hi!" to everyone (which they all loved). Then she came back and started rifling (sp?) through the diaper bag for treasures. First she found a bib, which she had to wear (over her jogging suit, of course). She then tried to put on a hat that hasn't fit since she was a newborn; eventually she got tired of trying and flung it under one of the chairs. Then she found her Kix and begged to eat some of those, so I obliged. Then she found a "phone" and started talking to Uncle Paul on it ("Hi, Pow!"). Did I mention the phone was actually a travel size baby powder container? It was. Then she pulled out my sunglasses and tried wearing those. Everyone was quite entertained by it all.
Well, her turn came up as she was standing in the middle of the waiting room. The nurse opened the door and said, "Grace," and Gracie looked at her and just walked back into the office, like she knew exactly what to do. It was adorable! I had to hurry and gather up our belongings and run to catch up with her. In the room, the lady had me sit in a chair and hold Gracie's arm so she could draw the blood. Again, Grace was quite displeased at having her blood drawn, but when the lady pulled the needle out and had me hold the cotton ball on her arm, Gracie said (through her tears), "A-done!" and we said, "Yep, all done!" It was heartbreaking, but also adorable! I said, "Say thank you" and Gracie said, "dee-doo" and the nurse said, "Awwww, you're welcome!" (That probably sounds weird for me to have her say that, but I figure it's no picnic for the nurse either--might as well thank her for being willing to do it!) As we left the room, the receptionist saw us and said, "You're done already? You didn't even cry! Let me give you a sticker!" She then gave her a Care Bears sticker, and Grace was thrilled! She again said "Thank you," which the receptionist loved. As we walked out through the waiting room, everyone was amazed to see Gracie leaving with a huge smile on her face (because of the sticker, no doubt), and waved good-bye to her.
I'm sorry this ended up being so long. I had to add this story mostly for her grandparents' benefit, because they love hearing stories like this about her. Sorry if it bored the rest of you. I'm so grateful to get to be Gracie's mom. I know that she has a special mission on this earth, and she is tough enough to face anything this world can dish out. I love my Grace!
Oh, and here are a couple pictures of Gracie with her bandage and Care Bears sticker:
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment