This is a story about a cute little 5-year-old and her beautiful hair. As I've stated before on this blog, my husband passed on some Super Amazing Hair Genes to our children. Gracie's hair has always been beautiful and healthy, so we have only cut it twice (once when she was 1, we trimmed her bangs; then we trimmed the end of her hair just before school started). Well, during the fall it started getting so long that it was becoming unmanageable. She hated having it washed, dried, brushed, fixed, etc., and even when she let me fix it in the morning, her hair was so heavy that it would start falling out and then she'd pull out the ponytails or clips and it would get tangled and messy. Dave kept saying we needed to get her a haircut, and then she started to say she wanted short hair, but I was the resistant one. I was worried that she would miss her long hair or wouldn't like it and then she'd get mad at me.
Well, with Mike's wedding coming, Dave said he thought it would be really fun for Gracie to have a fresh, new haircut for the wedding, and I gave in. Because her hair was so long, I wondered if maybe we could donate it to
Locks of Love, so I measured it to see if her "extra" hair was 10 inches long. And it was! Dave and I talked to her about donating her hair just to see if she'd be alright cutting off that much hair, and she was THRILLED! She couldn't wait to give her hair to another child who didn't have any! It was so cute.
So, while we were in Arizona, we went to Great Clips (because they were close to my parents' house and would do a free haircut for a Locks of Love donation) and got her hair cut. She was so excited and asked questions the whole time. (Fun fact: The hairdresser happened to be a good friend of my brother's wife. I remembered her from their wedding reception [because her family did the setup/cleanup], so it was a fun connection to make.) I was the only one who was nervous, but I didn't need to be. :) Here are some pictures of the process:
 |
| Look at all that hair! |
 |
| I have a picture from when I donated my hair in college, and I'm making a scared expression like this, so Gracie wanted to have a picture like that too. :) |
 |
| The finished product |
 |
| She's so excited about her new hairdo! |
 |
| So proud! |
 |
| Such a cutie! |
Gracie still loves having short hair, and we're all very glad that I was finally convinced to allow it to be cut. ;) We are so proud of her for donating it too. Below is a picture of her hair all fixed up for the wedding. (Plus, it's a nice teaser for the wedding post I hope to do within the next few days. The wedding was beautiful, and we had a great time in Arizona!)
2 comments:
I love the story. the hair cut looks adorable! Looks like she loved it too!
I love it, especially her facial expression (mostly because she wanted to have the same expression you had).
Post a Comment