Sunday, January 10, 2010

Too much!

That title probably throws you off. We're doing alright. I just called it "too much" because this post is about several different things, so I can't just give it one title.

Firstly, Dave starts chemo tomorrow (Monday, Jan. 11). He will go every day this week, then Wednesday on each of the next two weeks. Then he will repeat that 3-week cycle twice more. We are both pretty nervous, mostly because we're not sure exactly what to expect and when, as far as side effects. But we would definitely appreciate you continuing to remember us in your prayers. And thank you to all of you who have been praying--we are definitely feeling your love and support!

Nextly, today was my 26th birthday, and it was wonderful! And I have to share a fun little tidbit about it with you. So, today's date is 01-10-10, right? I figured out a couple weeks ago that my birthday would be cool like that, and I told Dave about it. Well, being the computer guy that he is, he said, "Hey, I bet that's something in binary code! Let's look it up." (For those of you who, like me, are not computer people, binary code is what computers use--everything can be represented in combinations of 0 and 1.) So, we looked it up, and it represents.......26--my age! Amazing, huh? I know! The whole of the universe aligned just for me today! :) Oh, and it will align next year, too, because 01-10-11 is 27. Awesome.

So, what did I do for my birthday? I'm glad you asked! I finally got to decorate the girls' room with Gracie as my big helper, and it was SOOOO fun! Dave's dad repainted the Craigslist crib for Katie and his mom washed the bedding (thank you both!), and today Dave, Grace, and I put it all together. (Another fun story: When I was pregnant, I started looking for beds for Gracie. Several friends advised me to keep her in a crib as long as she would stay in one, though, so I started looking for a crib for Katie instead. The first day I searched Craigslist, I found one that, from the fuzzy picture, appeared to be identical to Gracie's! The amazing thing about that is that when we bought hers 3 years ago, it was the last one in the store, on clearance. So, we drove to the person's house to look at it, and it was identical, and they even had the same exact mattress as Gracie's! Needless to say, we bought them both. It was kinda dirty and the paint was chipped, but after a good cleaning/painting, it looks great!) So, wanna see pictures? Here they are!

BEFORE
(I really should've taken pictures before Dave's mom helped me clean/organize--it was pretty bad!)





AFTER


(No, this blog is not sponsored by Pampers. In fact, I believe that, with how much we spend on diapers, we may actually be one of their biggest sponsors.)


Gracie's reading corner




It was so fun decorating, and I still have a few little things I want to add, but I am very happy with how it turned out! Thank heaven for little girls! Especially these ones, who make my life so great:

8 comments:

Staci said...

I LOVEEEEEEEEEE the nursery!!! So SO So cute!!! I can't wait to one day decorate a room for a GIRL:)

Good luck on chemo today...you guys will be in my prayers! Keep us updated!

Jonestown said...

Beautiful! Looks like fun.
Hang tough you guys.

Jill said...

we were so shocked to hear about dave and have been thinking and praying for you guys. your good attitude about it all is admirable. good luck tomorrow! we'll be thinking of you!

akidd said...

Cute nursery! You are fortunate that while the chemo sounds like it will be pretty intense, it will be over relatively quickly. Nine weeks isn't too long. The side-effects will be more tolerable if you can prevent him from getting any infections, although that may be impossible since he has to go to a germy hospital. It will take a few weeks for them to get really bad. Lots of fasting, prayer and priesthood blessings will get you through and you'll both come out the other end of this stronger people.

Emily Kern said...

It looks adorable! I love that bedding! I'm glad you had a good birthday! Love and prayers for you all!

Rob and Jen said...

I love the pictures!!! So fun that the cribs matched! I can't believe how long Gracie's hair is getting! You're amazing for keeping this up with everything you've got going on. Our prayers for you continue. Love you guys!!!

Tony and Traci said...

Happy Belated birthday! Sorry I missed it. I hope that Dave is doing ok. The nursery looks beautiful! I'm glad you guys are doing well. If you need anything at all don't hesitate to ask. Please, I insist.

Unknown said...

Alicia just want you to know you and your sweet family are in our prayers. Allison caught us up on Dave, so sorry to hear. We missed you at our Allison birthday brunch!
much love,
JuDene